Monday, March 06, 2006

Supreme Court Backs Unanimously Backs Military

Thankfully the Justices of the Supreme Court have a level head when it comes to the military. Some college campuses have kicked out military recruiters for various reasons while still receiving federal dollars. In my opinion, it is wrong for a college to expect the government to give them money when they wont even allow the military to recruit capable students. If these schools want to snub their noses at the government, then the government has every right to do the same. Evidentally, the suit was originally filed by various law schools to protest the "dont ask, dont tell" policy, however I personally feel that it has more to with politics than sexual orientation. Here is some of an article from the AP:
Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law schools and their professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearences.
Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the court, said that the campus visits area an effective military recruiting tool.
"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law schools right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiters message," he wrote.

Let me say real quick that I really like John Roberts. But here is more of the article:
The ruling was announced on a day that the court was jammed with visitors from the military, all dressed in uniform. Justices heard arguments in the case in December, and signaled then that they were concerned about hindering a Defense Department need to fill its ranks when the nation at war.
"This is an important victory for the military and ulitmately for our national security," said Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice."


Damn right.

-Brad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad, why don't you really back the US Military by picking up a weapon and standing a post?

All this lip service you give is fine, but if you are going to be an advocate for the wars we fight you oughta put on a uniform before voting to send someone else to war.

Larry D. Petty Officer 1st Class United States Navy

bradsjournal said...

Petty Officer, thanks for reading and leaving comments, but I would just like to inform you that I am actually planning on joining the Navy after I graduate college. I AM willing to put my money where my mouth is and fight for my country but I just want to finish school first. Maybe Ill even be your commanding Officer one day...take care.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful choice. I said pick up a weapon and stand a post. Not slide right into a desk job managing supply.

I always admired those college boys who pick up a commission without knowing their butt from a hole in the ground. Then again, I hope you might wake up and be different.

I might be impressed if you enlisted for a tour and then went officer.