Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Now its Mississippi Trying Abortion Ban

South Dakota is doing it, so why not Mississippi? If you have been reading my posts lately I have really been interested in this new movement by state legislatures to outlaw abortions. As I have said before, the implications of this are enormous, and the more states that decide to take these actions,The bigger the inevitable climax will be. Today, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said that he would 'likely' sign a bill that banned most abortion in his state. Here is some info from the Sunherald:
[Mississippi] already has some of the strictest abortion laws in the
nation. The bill that passed the House Public Health Committee on Tuesday would
allow abortion only to save the pregnant woman's life. It would make no
exception in cases of rape or incest.

Here's what the Gov. had to say:
Responding to questions about whether he'd sign a bill with no exceptions
for rape or incest, Barbour said: "It hasnt gotten to my desk yet. When one gets
there, we'll find out, and I suspect I'll sign it. But I would certainly rather
it come to my desk with an exception for rape and incest. I think that's
consistent with the opinion of th vast majority of Mississippians and
Americans."
The bill goes to the full House, which could vote next week. Speaker Billy
McCoy, D-Rienze, said he believes it will pass the House and move to the
Senate.

This is huge. And as I've said before the Supreme Court will have to take this up sooner or later, and Im betting on sooner.
Terry Herring, president of Pro-Life Mississippi, said she hopes the state will
outlaw abortion, but shes not certain whether there's a majority on the U.S.
Supreme Court willing to overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court ruling
establishing the right to an abortion.


And the plot thickens.

-Brad

No comments: